Re: Which AMD64 installer iso to use?

Definitely I'm not used to be a 'night owl. Fresh in the morning, it was a
dead mouse problem. X system works.

Now, is KDE available for amd64? At the moment it is pure 64bit, no 32bit
chroot yet made; where to start to make it?

Thanks again
francesco

_____________
Too quick to talk. Mouse not active on X system.

Don't know how to quit the X system and getting a console.

Ctrl Alt Del does nothing, the system hangs..

I leave the machine running

___________________
grub installed on root

reboot

user

Finished by startX OK

Now it is the time to stop and go to sleep

I'll examine if the boot loader is on both disks

Is KDE available?

Recompiling kernel will be probably needed because i have to compile for 64bit
my pre-program for mpqc.

It was a stimulating adventure.

Thanks to all you indeed

francesco

___________
I used debian raid1 not the one from Tyan.

It seems now that I am progressing by changing mirror to Austria
(debian.inode.at)
Choosing <stable> again it pointed to cd sarge and stopped. But choosing
<testing> it is going on. Installed

linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic

Unfortunately, security.debian.org could not be accessed:

 /etch/apt/sources.list file to be reported later to discover why

Of course I am agreeing to participate to automatic submission every week
sending statistics to debian developers, whereby i finished installing the
core and i am now at installing the Desktop Envir. and Standard System.

The breakthrough may be due to Austria being the country of my wife and my
daughter....

francesco

As explained below
for installation of amd64 debian testing with Tyan K8WE with two dual 265 amd
opteron starting from installer downloaded a couple of days ago from
I am halted at "booted from the ram disk"
With LeftAlt-F1 I get ash provided with nano and, if i know how, i could
redirect the installer to, I suppose, the installer CD-ROM

I just tried

~#dhclient

and, if i understand, the one of the three ports (eth1 nvidia) is OK, as
shown, inter alia, by:
Listening on LPF/eth1/00:e0:81:57:d1:ba
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:e0:81:57:d1:ba
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255,255.255.2555 port 67
DHCPAK from 192.168.1.34 -- renewal in 129600 seconds.

francesco
ANYWAY THE WPROKSTATION IS LEFT RUNNING TO RUN ANY USEFUL SUGGESTION

francesco

I am using the above TESTING installer with the above hardware (having chosen,
at the installer request, ftp.de.debian.org as mirror; internet is ok on this
pc bound to the same rooter).

I must say that everything run smoothly, raid1 MD (I choose
separate /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp), root pass, user pass, but  base system
installation failed, althoug the installer CD-ROM had not been removed.
Apparently the system expected SARGE:

Debootstrap error: failed getting release file:///cdrom/dists/sarge/release

I insisted and the window "preparing to install the base system appeared for a
long while but exited with the same above error, reporting errors at virtual
console 4.
LeftAlt-F4 is very long, the two last lines:
---Running /usr/lib/base-installer.d/40netcf
---exiting on error base-installer/debootstrap-failed

On Enter, further lines report about kernel
---md: using max available idle IO bandwidth (but no more than 200000 KB/sec)
for reconstruction.
---md: using 128k window, ober a total of 2931712 blocks.
---raid1 conf printout:
---wd:2 ed:2
---disk 0, wo:0, 0:1, dev:sda9.
---disk1, wo:0, 0:1. dev:sdb9.
---md: md2: sync done.
---as abore repeated for sda6 and asb6

Hope to get suggestions as either letting the testin CD-ROM being recognized
or something else. Nothing against installing Sarge at this point,, only to
know how.

THE WORKSATTION IS LEFT RUNNING IN THE HOPE OF A RECOVERING SUGGESTION

Thank you

francesco pietra