Re: APC (American Power Conversion) APC BACK-UPS RS 800VA

Hi Len:
Thanks for all information.

I forgot two possible problems: it deals of a workstation for very heavy
computation (quantum mechanical), not a server. Although I'll benefit of full
property (not having to share cpu time with colleagues, such as in the
institution) it will be at the very low limit to accomplish part of my tasks.
Therefore, what about the usb connection to the APC apparatus? usb makes use
of the cpu and because of this it has a bad repution in our quarters (read
scsi by far preferred): how much it will detract from the performance?

Second problem: voltage surge from lightnings, which may occur because the ws
will also run unattended. As far as i know, back-ups do not provide any
reliable barrier. I remember vaguely that any computer should by default be
provided of varistors to block voltage surge from lightnings. Is it correct?
In particular do you know if Enermax case has bu default real varistors and
efficiently connected (there were once upon a time controversial views how
many varistors, how coccected, and if they are real or not).

I hope these questions are of general interest. They concern the safety of
expensive machines and extensive work by the user.

Regards
francesco