Re: VIA VT8251 low performance (was: ASUS A8V-MX)

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:45:57PM +0200, Zrin wrote:
> [...]
> > ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
>
> this sounds promising ...

So the speed between the controller and drive is 3 gigabit.  What is the
internal transfer rate from platter to interface of the drive you are
using?

> but this is totally dissapointing. I'm getting about
> 60 MB/s with these simple tests (Asus A8V-VM).
> I was expecting SATA II to bring at least 150 MB/s.

But the interface speed doesn't make the platters spin any faster, or be
any higher density.

If I plug an old 213MB drive into a modern ATA133 IDE interface would
you expect it to do more than 2 or 3MB/s?

> On VT8237 (Asus A7V880, AMD K7) I'm getting in average
> over 80 MB/s.
> When reading from RAID0 it gets over 150 MB/s. SATA I.
>
> There is something wrong, either with this south bridge or
> with the driver...

Or with the speed of the drive.