Re: fam uses 100% of CPU problem

On Monday 13 March 2006 10:16, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 09:47 +0100, Tobias Krais wrote:
> > Hi Joost,
> >
> > > I am experiencing problems with fam, using 100% of CPU (actually 50% as
> > > I have 2 processors ;-)). There is already a bug report for this
> > > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=252896) .
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me which programs depend on fam or why it is installed?
> > > Can I safely uninstall the program?
> >
> > I just uninstalled it. My system still works :-)
>
> That does not really surprise me, as the account under which fam runs is
> an ordinary user account.  So I don't expect it to be system critical.
> But assuming that there is reason why it is installed, do you have any
> idea what program is not functioning as it should be because fam is not
> running?

Fam did this on one of my boxes. I eventually tried writing a script to kill
and restart it when it started consuming 100% of the CPU time but I never got
it to work correctly. Anyway after much research I concluded that no one
really knew what was wrong and no one was looking at fixing it - I removed
fam.

Nothing stopped working but konqueror no longer detects changes to the file
system as quickly as it did before. As I understand it this is because it now
has to poll rather than simply listen t fam.

Graham