Re: i686 to amd64

Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com> writes:

> On Sunday 12 March 2006 10:22, S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:
>> I am now using Debian sid for i686 on EM64T processor.
>> Now i want to shift to AMD64 as it's also port for EM64T.
>>
>> Any body know the way to shift to amd64 without reinstalling the hole
>> system from CD ?
>
> You have to reinstall.
> You can use debootstrap to avoid messing with CDs though (see install manual
> and HOWTOs).
>
> Paul

The closest thing you can come to shifting is to create a new
partition, install (or cdebootstrap) a base system there without
selecting any extra packages, copy your /etc and debconf database,
dpkg --get-selections on the old system and dpkg --set-selections on
the new and then apt-get dselect-upgrade.

MfG
        Goswin