Re: Confirm needed: python2.3 (thus lots of other stuff) uninstallable from etch?

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 04:06:31PM +0000, cmetzler@speakeasy.net wrote:

> Simo Kauppi wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 06:12:51AM +0000, cmetzler@speakeasy.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Can anyone else confirm this:
> >>
> >>} stax:/etc/apt# apt-get install python2.3
> >>} Reading package lists... Done
> >>} Building dependency tree... Done
> >>} Package python2.3 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> >>} This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> >>} is only available from another source
> >>} However the following packages replace it:
> >>}   python
> >>} E: Package python2.3 has no installation candidate
> >>}
> >>} The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> >>}   python: Depends: python2.3 (>= 2.3.5-1) but it is not installable
> >>} E: Broken packages
> >>
> >> Because of this, tons of stuff, from reportbug to GNOME, is uninstallable
> >> for me.  My sources.list mirrors are:
> >>
> >>} deb http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> >>} deb-src http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> >>}
> >>} deb http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> >>} deb-src http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> >>
> >> Can anyone else confirm this?
> >
> > Yes, the 'Packages' of your mirror doesn't seem to have 'python2.3' and
> > 'python' depends on that.
> >
> Hmm, well, I just tried a whole bunch of mirrors -- specifically, I've
> tried debian.csail.mit.edu, mirror.espri.arizona.edu, ftp.de.debian.org,
> debian.inode.at, and ftp.jp.debian.org.  All five of them had this
> problem; so it seems pretty widespread.
>
> I hadn't considered fetching the package directly, though; I went
> and looked on the mirror I normally use and it was indeed there,
> as you suggest above.  Thanks.
>

> > I use ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/
>
> apt-get updating from here gives:
>
> Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch/main/source/Sources.gz  MD5Sum mismatch
> Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/dists/etch/contrib/source/Sources.gz  MD5Sum mismatch
>
> which is a bit worrisome!
>
> -c

I did an update this morning and aptitude did not tell me about any
problems.

Now I checked from that server, and yes the md5sums of Sources.gz or
Sources.bz2 do not match the ones in the Release file!

The md5sum of Packages.bz2 does match however. Now I lost connection to
that server, so there might be something funny going on with the mirrors.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature