Re: Sarge AMD64 installation won't boot

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:49:41PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:50:22PM +0000, Jo Shields wrote:
> > hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > >I haven't accepted the new AMD-64 box the computer store has
> > >built for me, because I can't get it to run in 64-bit mode.
> > >
> > >I provided the sarge net-install CD's for both AMD-64 and the older
> > >386 architectures.
> > >
> > >The netinstall for AMD64 went fine up to a point (except it was 30 times
> > >as slow
> > >as the i386 install which he performed later), but when it came time
> > >to boot into the installed system, the boot stopped after it had
> > >identified the USB ports.
> > >
> > >Repeating entire process with the i386 netinstall, it installed nicely
> > >(30 time faster), and booted up properly.  But he never got it to use
> > >the two hard disks in DMA mode.
> > >
> > >(Oh yes -- he installed a cheap Realtek ethernet card because netinstall
> > >would not recognise the Ethernet on the motherboard.  But that's not a
> > >big problem for me.)
> > >
> > >He did all this this at the shop, and then called me to tell me the
> > >problems.
> > >
> > >I went there on the weekend, and managed to install the sarge AMD-64
> > >kernel on the i386-based system, and it had the same problem as the
> > >original AND-64 install -- crash during boot.
> > >
> > >Using aptitude, I tried to fetch a more recent kernel, but so far
> > >have not succeeded.  Just sticking in "etch" into my apt-sources file
> > >does not seem to be enough.  What do I need to do to get aptitude
> > >to see a more recent kernel?
> > >
> > >Or maybe it has moved, and I should ask -- what deb line should
> > >I use to find the current amd64 repository?
> > >
> > >Sorry not the have the details about motherboard identity and the like
> > >-- the machine is currently at the shop and I'm not.  I'm not accepting
> > >it by taking it home before it works.  The tech is planning to try
> > >out Ubuntu or Knoppix next in order to show me the machine really does
> > >work in Linux in 64-bit mode, but I'd prefer Debian.  He uses Ubuntu on
> > >his AMD-64 at home.
> > >
> > >-- hendrik
> > >

> > If in doubt (or it's nforce4), try Len's 2.6.12 installer, at
> > http://tinyplanet.ca:81/~lsorense/amd64/
>
> Thanks.  Now downloading.  Will try it tomorrow.

It worked beautifully.

A day or two ago, the URL seems to have changed.
  http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/
works now.

I now have an AMD64 running the 2.6.12 kernel.

But:
(1)  unless I am mistaken, the 2.6.12 kernel isn't there as an installed
package recognised bu aptitude.
(2) I don't have the 2.6.12 headers I'm going to need to compile nvidia
drivers.  Where can I find them?
(3) Or should I upgrade to 2.6.13? Looking around on the net, there
seem to be 2.6.11 and 2.6.13 kernels, but I haven't yet found
a 2.6.12 kernel with headers.  The 2.6.13 kernel I found seems to
have enough modifiers in its name that I'm hesitant about using it.
Will I have to declare my system to be etch or unstable to get
aptitude to recognise them?

-- hendrik