Re: a beginner user

Qi Wu wrote:

Hi,

I have a AMD FX64 machine and I want a Linux OS on it. I tried to install Suse 10 but it turned out to be unstable. It would reboot itself when I ran some program on it. And that's why I changed to Debian since people said it is more stable. However, the installation did not seem to be as easy as that of Suse. So I am wonder if it is appropiate if I ask some installation question here.

I first burn two DVDs and for some reason it did not work. Then I burn a net install CD and boot with it. I got the basic installation done! But After rebooting, when I tried to install other things, I can't get the network working. I tried different mirrow sites, they all failed. So I guess it is someting wrong with my config.

Actually, what I need is simply. A network and a windows manager (KDE) so I can run some program like Matlab. The machine is at University, so the network should be fine. I just don't know how should I config it. I think I should use dhcp. It seems to me that I need to make the internet work at first, then I can modify the sources.list and install other things.

  Would someone give some clue on how to do it? Thanks in advance.

qi

wuqi

Department of Electrical & Computer Engineer
University of Colorado -Boulder

Add:    1350 20th St. Apt G-25
           Boulder, CO 80302
Tel:     (303) 786-1580
Cell:    (720) 352-7916
Email: wuq@colorado.edu <mailto:wuq@colorado.edu> ; wuqi5718@gmail.com <mailto:wuqi5718@gmail.com> Msn: wuqi_5718@hotmail.com <mailto:wuqi_5718@hotmail.com>

Hi
First, did the installation process went over to the network and ask you for a mirror site? Or did it tell you that it had not found a valid ethernet card? If so, what is your motherboard type, chipset on it? You can get chipset and ethernet card type by typing: lspci . Mob type is easy to have from your documentation.
Look at that and we will see after what to do.
Thierry