Re: X Display does not work without devices

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:28:24AM +0100, Ricardo Mones wrote:
  /dev is not needed to be bind mounted at all, my working chroot
demonstrates it :)

While it doesn't have to, it really makes sense to.  If you run anything
like udev, having it bind mounted makes a lot of sense.

Exactly. Only if you have a static /dev you have no need to bind mount it
(but you do need to keep it in sync anyway, when devices get created or
modified). Otherwise, things may work almost ok, but there is always the
possibility that devices in the real /dev and in the /dev inside the chroot
jail get out of sync, which in turn may result in wreaking real havoc: think
"I thought I was formatting my usb pen and formatted my external usb hard
disk instead"... Bind mounting /dev just ensures the two are always in sync,
eliminating this kind of problem.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.