Re: Installation nuisances

Bruce Korb wrote:

Hi all,

I had enough trouble doing an install that I thought I would relay
it to you-all in hopes the issues might get categorized and addressed
some day.  :)

The base machine:
MBoard: ECS KV2 Lite
CPU:    2GHz AMD64x2
Memory: 2GB
Video:  NVidea chip on EVGA e-GeForce MX 4000

I finished the install, configured XFree 86 (it recognized the video!!)
and logged in.  I ran "startx" only to discover that it blows up because
the default install installs XFree86, but not libXau.  Oops.  I could not
determine which "apt-get" to get that supplied libXau. It wasn't indexed. After a bunch of Googling around, I "apt-got" the right thing and I had X.

Oh, I did forget another little headache:  though it recognized the
video card and monitor, it configured the wrong settings anyway,
so I had to figure out that XFree86.conf was renamed to xorg.conf
and hand edit the monitor specs to conform to the ViewSonic P90
specs.