Vuescan + SCSI scanner on amd64/chroot?

I am trying to get my Nikon Coolscan III slide scanner working on a Debian
Sarge AMD64 system with 32bit chroot, using Ed Hamrick's Vuescan. However,
Vuescan doesn't detect my SCSI scanner:

- 64bit xsane detects USB and SCSI scanner, so permissions are o.k.;

- Vuescan is installed in /opt, chroot and Pango are configured, Vuescan
detects USB scanner and works without any problem.

My questions:

1. Does anyone have success using Vuescan on amd64/chroot with a SCSI scanner?

2. Does anyone use a comparable setup with success (a 32bit program running
with chroot and accessing a SCSI device)?

Any help appreciated!

Regards, Clemens

--
Clemens Bergmann