Re: How to package SuperCollider (or, whats the deal with multiarch)

Mario Lang wrote:

>Yes, thanks for the nice demonstration, so memcpy
>is not really the problem, however, changing the amount of bits
>used for a single slot is going to be...  QUoting the author,
>going to more than 64bit would be a loss of performance, going
>to less than 64bit would be a loss of precision, and using
>a struct with a separate tag field would increase memory
>usage by at least factor two, due to alignment...
>
>I can very well see why he does not want to make one of
>these changes just to make his code run on an arch
>it already runs on (through 32bit compatibility).

I'd strongly advise the author to avoid such hacks and write proper
portable code. Unless he wants his package to be another OpenOffice.org.

--
Question: Is it better to abide by the rules until they're changed or
help speed the change by breaking them?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@bol.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb