Re: New install - no sound

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 07:01:35PM -0600, Russ Cook wrote:
> I believe I have.  As a user, I am a member of the audio group.  I can
> run alsamixer as normal user.  Still no sound.  I visited this web site
> for hints -
> http://xtronics.com/reference/Debian-sound.html and looked at the list of
> packages it recommended installing.  I noticed that I can't install
> alsa-modules because it isn't available.  I am running testing - does
> that have
> any bearing on my problem?

You only need alsa-modules for 2.4 kernels.  2.6 kernels have alsa
drivers already included.

Do you have your card listed in /proc/asound/cards?

What sound chip is it?  If it is an i8x0 ac97 chip, then try plugging
the speakers into the mic jack or other jacks and see if it helps, or
turn up the headphone volume.  If any of that works, you need to go find
out which ac97_quirk option you have to pass to the driver for your
hardware.