Re: Hello! from a newbie+ problems with debian for amd64+can't boot debian for i386 on amd64 from cd+can't extract sbm.bin from cd

Hello again...

In reply...

>  I've just followed your advice and it seems to have worked (the DHCP
> detection was successful) but I still can't connect to the internet ;(
>
>  I'm a bit lost because the installer keeps asking me about ppp
> configuration, my modem and the ISP phone number, but that's not the right
> thing, because I use a router, which is already working and I can connect to
> the internet through another computer.
>
>  The AMD64 netinst installer didn't ask such questions, but the i-386
> netinst installer does.

Interesting... I did not have that issue. It just went and fetched the
packages for me straight away. Where did the DHCP lease come from? I
take it that it was issued by an ADSL modem? If so, check that the DNS
settings were sent along with it.

(My DHCP addresses are served by a computer on my local network that I
set up running isc-dhcp3. The same machine also runs bind9 in a
caching configuration. The DHCP lease also specifies DNS to any
computers).

>  1)  I was unable to use dmesg | less (it said something like " less:
> command not found" ) but dmesg | more did work. It may well have been my
> fault, but I'm commenting it just in case.

My bad. Less is not in there... I am used to using it on an installed
system, which will have less if I've been near it. My apologies for
this.

>  3) I don't know whether this is getting off-topic for this list. I'm sorry
> if it is.  In general, I'm not quite clear about when to reply to the author
> and when to reply to the list. Is there an established policy, netiquette or
> tradition about this?

I'm not too sure about this either; I am posting this back to the list
because I feel this might help other people.

(Also, sorry for my delay in replying; work sent me to a remote,
non-internet connected location in the Australian outback. Now that's
off topic.)

Have fun!

Daniel.