Re: dist-upgrade installs xorg, GUI fails to start

Thanks to everyone for their input.
I renamed the former XFree86 file to xorg and changed the XkbRules as
suggested. Everything seems OK. It boots up into the GUI as it should.

However, there does seem to be one strange thing that has been
changed. The GUI is back, but the screen seems to be larger than the
monitor now. I can drag a window and it will keep going both right and
left quite a ways past the edge of the monitor. The resolutions and
sync rates are as they were before. I DO have it set for TV out, but
it is working correctly in "clone" mode, not side-by-side. Weird.

Not related to the GUI-not-starting problem.... but the same apt-get
upgrade installed tons of stuff. Now whenever any user logs in or
changes users it throws up this series of errors:

configuration error - unknown item 'QUOTAS_ENAB' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MAX_LEN' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CLOSE_SESSIONS' (notify administrator)

This seems to be part of the file /etc/login.defs ... but I am not
sure what the error is supposed to be telling me to do.

Craig