it wasn't SATA

I now finally tested my system with a IDE HD (HDD EIDE
200GB SAMSUNG SP2014N 7200 8) but again while
partitioning the debian installer exits with:
"Kernel panic - not syncing: PCI-DMA: high address but
no IOMMU". So its certain that its not the HD! As
Lennart Sorensen pointed that error usally occurs when
the system has 4Gb of RAM. I don't but it could still
be a problem with the RAM. All i know is that my mobo
is compatible with it: When i select
Motherboards--ASRock--939Dual-SATA2 on
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_search.html
it gives me (among others) TWINX1024-3200XL / DDR-400
(XMS-3200XL) / 2-2-2-5 which is the RAM i have.

I thought i had ruled out everything except the HD
because Knoppix works fine and it uses everthing
except the HD. right?

I'm seriously stumped here. The next thing i will try
is to get a 64-bit Knoppix and debootstrap.

muddled,
- Peter