Ant: Re: Ant: Re: Ant: detecting SATA2

The only difference between your setup and mine that i
can see is that you installed debian on a SATA1 HD and
i'm trying to install it on a SATA2 HD. Are they not
supposed to be completely backwards compatilbe? With
my recent experiences i dont think so. Is there
anything i have to change in bios to make it run? When
i switch the SATA2 controller off the pc hangs at boot
which is strange because i plugged in my disc on the
SATA1 slot so what does he need the SATA2 controller
for? What do you mean when you say the Pre-Boot
Execution Environment option failes? Does the PXE not
start up or does an alteration of an PXE option not
take effect? I'm reluctant to flash the bios - i never
tried it - if it has nothing to do with the problem,
since it is risky, more so because as you say it works
without.
When i try a debian installer with kernel 2.6.8 it
hangs while partitioning. When installing debain from
knoppix with debootstrap:
debootstrap --arch --resolve-deps amd64 sarge /mnt/
http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64/
it just exits at random stages - once at "I:
Extracting modutils..." sometimes later, once while
trying to chroot. However cheers for the help.

- Peter