UML, TLS, and Debian AMD64

Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems with running Debian Sarge AMD64 within Debian
Sarge AMD64 via UML.  I'm on the latest kernel, 2.6.13.2.  I debootstrap the
root filesystem, and the UML instance boots, and everything looks like it's
going to work.

But:
1) The SSH server drops  connections just as it should prompt for a password.
2) Apache2 children constantly segfault, filling the logs with "child pid
10176 exit signal Segmentation fault", making Apache unable to serve pages
(although thttpd works).
3) Any nslookup segfaults immediately.

These appear to be the symptoms of running UML with TLS enabled, which is not
supported.  The traditional fix is to move /lib/tls out of the way.  However,
that directory does not appear to be present in Debian AMD64.

Is TLS "on", even without this directory?  If so, how can I turn it off?

Thanks in advance!
Alex