Re: Sharing sound between apps using Alsa?

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 05:49:54AM +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> I want to share sound between apps (e.e. 2 VMware session with Windows
> beeping while listening to my favorite MP3). I have created a
> asound.conf, started esd etc, but nothing worked.
>
> Is there anyone with a Tyan S2885 which has an Intel 8x0 /AMD8111
> onboard soundcard that has this working? If so, what is the magic trick?

Did you try what is described here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic#softmix

It may also be necesary I guess to run vmware each with an aoss in front
to tell it which alsa device to use (to use different virtual channels)
since I think vmware only supports OSS interface at this time.  I
haven't checked that in a while though.