Re: Ant: detecting SATA2

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 03:33:19PM +0200, Peter Sheldrick wrote:
> Thank you very much! I couldn't wish for better
> replies!
>
> I now connected my SATA2 disc to a SATA connector
> although the mobo handbook advises against it. When i
> start the installation with a cd made from
> sarge-amd64-2.6.12-netinst.iso available at
> http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/, i modprobe
> sata_uli and the installer detects my disc :). But
> when i try to format it, at one stage or the other i
> get at least:
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: PCI-DMA: high addres but
> no IOMMU"
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt
> handler!"
> the furthest i got so far was past the formatting -
> installing the base system - but then one of the
> errors above occured.
> Knoppix detects the disc and i can mount it - but
> lsmod did not show sata_uli *puzzled*.
> So what do you guys recommend? Should i use a IDE HD
> instead? Is it likley that this is a silly mistake or
> some serious incompatibility where even if i manage to
> install debian ugly errors are going to crop up later?

Well I haven't used the Uli chipset so I have no idea how good/bad it
might be or how the support is for it (other than support at all is very
recent in the kernel).

How much ram do you have?

I am surprised at the 'no IOMMU' message unless you have 4GB or more of
ram and the bios is misconfigured and/or broken.