Re: ssh login delay

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:51:56AM +0200, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
>    This is most probably not an amd64 related problem but could someone tell
> me where the delay time for the failed login in ssh is set in Debian. All the
> computers I have access to have delay but not my amd64 one. I have looked
> through the internet for 2 hours without success.

Usually delay on connect/login is caused by not having working DNS/hosts
file to resolve the incoming IP.  If DNS is working fine, it tends to be
able to quickly determine if it can or can not resolve the name of the
IP connecting.  If DNS is not working, you will get a long delay while
it waits for name lookup timeout.