A problem with svgatextmode

Yesterday I installed the amd64 port on a machine which had been running
the i386 distribution.  Everything went smoothly until it came to
invoking svgatextmode.

I downloaded the package and copied my existing TextConfig to the new
/etc directory.  My video card is a Matrox G200.  Provided the basic
VGA mode was specified in the configuration file stm 80x25x9 (e.g.)
worked.  Changing the chipset to reflect the video card used got me a
blank screen and necessitated a reboot.

The same card and configuration file worked as expected prior to
changing to amd64 and I have never before had any real problems with
svgatextmode using other supported cards.  So am I looking at a problem
specific to amd64, a bug perhaps, which can only be solved by some
deeper examination of how the program behaves on this architecture?

Brian.