Re: problem with firefox and mozilla

Dan Merillat wrote:
<resent because I replied to Harald rather then the list>

On 8/23/05, Harald Wenninger <harry@bobok.org> wrote:

Hi,

I have problems with mozilla+firefox. I am using the unstable
distribution.
Every time I want to start firefox or mozilla, no window is opened. The
.mozilla-dir and its subdirectories get created, though. There's no error displayed in the terminal from which I start the browsers.
Does anybody know somethin about this problem?

I've been reporting this problem for a few months now, but nobody seems able to reproduce it.
I surely can reproduce it.

Native 64, running chrooted X apps. Simple things (Xterm, Clock, etc) work. Konquerer, Firefox, Mozilla fail.

I finally tried compiling the debian 0.92.0 wmaker package with gcc-3.4 (3.4.5 20050821), and behold - firefox and thunderbird starts every time. I had to disable MMX and X86 asm as the instructions used were illegal for the 64bit platform (according to gcc).

It anyone else wants to try the package, you can retrieve it at:
http://fugmann.net/~afu/amd64/wmaker_0.92.0-1_amd64.deb

I will try later to compile using gcc-4.0 to see if the instructions used are the cause of the problems or if compiling with gcc-4.0 somehow triggers a problem in wmaker. I'm using unstable btw.

Regards
Anders Fugmann