Re: new 2.6.13 kernel

Le 01.09.2005 22:06:49, Neil Gunton a écrit :
Thomas Steffen wrote:
On 9/1/05, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) <jean.luc.coulon@gmail.com> wrote:

But if you want to build an intird with mkinitrd (or --initrd option of
make-kpkg), the initrd needs devfs which has been dropped from
kernel-2.6.13.

I didn't know that initrd depends on it, but certainly the debian
installer needs devfs. So that means no recent kernels for the debian
installer, I guess? I certainly think that this is going to be a
problem for installing Sarge on modern machines, and an unnecessary
one too, because devfs was declared dead a long time ago.

Thomas

Sorry, I'm a bit confused (also new here, so please forgive my ignorance)... could someone please explain why on the one hand devfs has (apparently) been dropped, but on the other hand it appears to be required for installing with initrd on modern machines???

What are we supposed to do instead? Is there reasoning behind this, or is it a mistake of some kind?

devfs has been dropped because it is considered as obsolete (replaced by udev). mkinitrd needs devfs but there are several other ways to build and initrd and these other ways dont necessarily needs devfs.

There is yaird which is an alternative or mkinitramfs (Ubuntu).

See this topic:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/08/msg01018.html

TIA,

/Neil