Re: Acer Turion laptops

On 8/23/05, Tim T. <tim.timmerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also: the Ubuntu distribution has a 1280x800 resolution on this
> hardware, which  I can't seem to reproduce (At least, not with the
> modern Xfree config.. ) Could some one give me a pointer to a working
> configuration ? (I used to be able to compute modelines by hand. Don't
> see anywhere I can put a modeline these days.)

I have two questions about this.

Why 1280x800? Isn't the native screen resolution 1280x768?

I have a similar laptop (HP special edition L2000) that uses the ATI
XPRESS 200M chip set. At present I'm only running Windows XP on it and
only 32 bit XP at that. (HP Says they'll upgrade me when they get full
64 bit driver support.) I've already allocated a bit more than half
the drive for a Linux install but in the mean time, I'm reacquainting
myself with Windows. And I'm getting eager to get back to Linux.
('nuff said about that. I don't want to get started. ;)

I'm in a quandary about whether to go with Debian or Ubuntu. I suspect
that Ubuntu might be an easier, more polished install but I think the
quality of support on this list might be better. (I remain blissfully
ignorant of any friction between Debian and Ubuntu so if I'm hitting
any sensitive spots, you have my apologies in advance.) In fact, I
feel almost inadequate to participate on the list. I'm pretty capable
WRT to administrating my Debian boxes (and one current Ubuntu box)
including such things as customizing kernels and getting WiFi to work,
but I'm clearly not at the level of what I see from the vast majority
of posts on this list.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this choice. Just be aware that if you
steer me toward Debian, you'll have to put up with my pestering about
getting it to work. ;)

I'm not sure if this is strictly on topic, so if you feel it is not,
again I apologize and thank you for your tolerance.

thanks,
hank

--
Beautiful Sunny Winfield, Illinois