Re: Advice on hardware ... Tyan S2895 K8WE

What was particularly wrong with it?

The SuperMicro H8DCE (which I sent a compatibilty report a few days ago to this list) is based on the same chipset, more or less. It's a dual northbridge (one for each CPU) nVidia 2200/2050 combination.

The only issues I've been having with it:
- not gotten temperature sensing to work with the nVidia SMBus system
- have to run the kernel with "noapic" (with Debian's kernels as well as my own 2.6.12) - the gigabit NIC with the forcedeth driver won't go above 10MB/sec (even though the OSS driver supposedly supports gigabit operation).

Samat

Tim Matthews wrote:

Though, if you use the S2895 .. be ready for much pain. We did replace it with a more mellow K8SD Pro (less agony).