Re: Advice on hardware

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:08:54PM -0700, Elaine Tsiang YueLien wrote:
> There seem to be two product lines available for quad dual core opterons
> at this point, one based on the Iwill H4203 (MB+Chasis), and the other
> on the Tyan S4882. Both are based on the AMD chipset. The Iwill MB has
> only IDE controller on board, the Tyan has SATA or SCSI. The machine
> will be used for compute-intensive tasks, server functions being not as
> important. I would appreciate any comments on either, or comparisons.
> Are there new MBs/systems in the works to be introduced in the near
> future, before 2006?

When is AMD supposed to switch to the new socket?  I am wondering if it
makes sense to buy a new system before or after that switch.  I like
buying things when I know the socket will be around for a while (I have
an Asus A7V which was one of the first socket A boards out, and it is
early enough revision to have some stupidities, like the IDE activity
light only working for one of the ide controllers. :)

As for chipsets for quad systems, I don't know if there are any new ones
coming any time soon.  I have seen dual systems with nvidia, and I have
seen systems with AMD.  I think I read that serverworks might be making
an opteron chipset, but I don't know if that is true.