Re: more weird apt - bzip2.

Chris Wakefield wrote:

Hi Bob.

Yes, I get no output from:  perl -e 0
install-docs says: "no such file...." but I think it's probably run inside the perl shell somehow, so ...

I screwed things up even worse, as I copied over apt-get and dpkg from another install and I have a big mess now.
Ouch! Try not to do that.
You are right, I have to fix the original problem first, but I can't fix without apt-get & dpkg working right, so gotta do a reinstall I think.

They do not work _at all_, or it is merely this upgrade problem always
getting stuck on some broken packages?

If dpkg works, then you can fix your "apt" by dowmlading the apt
package manually from one of the mirrors. Then install it using dpkg.

After that, play safe by also reinstalling dpkg,
i.e: apt-get install --reinstall dpkg

If dpkg is _broken_, then download the dpkg deb manually
and unpack it yourself. It is a cpio archive I believe, and can be unpacked using cpio.
Make sure you get the amd64 package . . .

Helge Hafting