Re: illegal user logon

On Sat, 2005-08-20 19:10:07 +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have noticed in my log there has been people trying to logon to my
> debian box.  Is there any software available to stop this, or should I
> use pam to restrict access?

Could you please go into deeper detail level? A simple "my box doesn't
work the way I expected it" is far from being helpful.

How did they log in? ...using which services? Are these services
expected to run on your system? How is authentication and authorization
done on your system? What shall said users be allowed to do, what not?
Is it enough to place /bin/true or /bin/false as login shell?

...and most important: why do you ask this on amd64 mailing list? Is
this problem amd64 specific? If not, maybe a different list would be
more supportive for you...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O