problems with base-config_2.70_all.deb

Hi,

Got back from vacation.  Updating gets the following:

Setting up base-config (2.70) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-config.postinst: line 59: syntax error near unexpected token `db_fset'
dpkg: error processing base-config (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

I've reinstalled 2.69 and held the package.  For some reason aptitude, without any messages why, ignores
my instructions to hold the pack and keeps trying 2.70 (probably something requires 2.70 - when/if aptitude
overides my instructions it SHOULD tell me why!)

Ideas
Ed Tomlinson