Re: Grub/LILO install fails on DL385

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:22:36PM -0500, Ryan Hobbs wrote:
> HP Proliant DL385 with HP Smart Array 6i controller.
> Two Dual-core Opterons with 6 GB of RAM.
> Trying to install the netinstall of the amd64 port.
> However, both grub and LILO fail to install citing errors with installation errors.
>
> I receive the following if I try to proceed, skipping the boot loader install.
>
> "You will need to boot normally with the /boot/vmlinuz kernal on partition /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 and root = /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 passed as a kernal argument"
>
> I have tried to install a /boot partition as well as a sing root partition.
>
> Any suggestions?

I suspect it may be an issue of neither lilo nor grub having a clue what
bios device /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 would map to.  They both know about
/dev/hd* and /dev/sd*.  Weird drivers like the cciss one that do their
own things just cause trouble.

I imagine grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0 might work, although you would
have to make sure the menu.lst is populated correctly.

You could also make a grub floppy, boot it, then use setup (hd0) to try
and transfer the install from the floppy to the HD.  Maybe doing root
(hd0,0) and then setup (hd0) is best so it knows which partition to look
for /boot/grub/menu.lst on.

Making a grub floppy is as simple as: cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0 where
stage1 and stage2 are in the grub dir somewhere (and often in /boot/grub
too).

Hopefully once you manage to get grub onto the disks boot sector, it
will just work.