Re: nvidia_drv in lib64 folder

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:34:03AM -0700, Zachary
> Rizer wrote:
> > nvidia-glx isn't available in non-free.
> >
> > My sources.list ->
> >
> > deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian sid main
> contrib
> > non-free
> >
> > But:
> > apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-glx
> >
> > * Reinstallation of nvidia-glx is not possible, it
> > cannot be downloaded.
>
> Try adding sarge non-free and then try.  It seems to
> have it at the
> moment.
>
> Other option is to use the new packages from
> experimental and rebuild
> them on amd64.  That should work too.  Someone
> mentioned on the list
> recently where to get the packages from experimental
> and how to build
> them on amd64 as far as I remember.
>
> Anything is better than the nvidia installer.
>
> > Tried using this howto ... what is m-a?  And much
> of
> > this seems XFree-centric.  Can we use these nvidia
> > packages with Xorg?
>
> That I don't know yet.  I have mainly stayed with
> sarge.
>
> Len Sorensen

Well, I went another route (I'm notoriously
impatient).  It succeeded (or so it seems, so far) so
I figured I'd post here for other people to reference.
 The most recent nvidia packages in debian-am64[sid]
were version 6229, released back in late April of 05.
Currently, the version is 7667, released a few weeks
back.  I ran the nvidia-installer from nvidia.com, and
it actually worked.

Details:
[root@fortunato]*[~]$ uname -a
Linux fortunato 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 #1 Wed Aug 10
03:17:19 CEST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@fortunato]*[~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86_64 NVIDIA Kernel Module
 1.0-7667  Fri Jun 17 07:14:03 PDT 2005
GCC version:  gcc version 4.0.2 20050806 (prerelease)
(Debian 4.0.1-4)

I'm remote, but I modprobe'd the newly installed
module, and then restarted Xorg (gdm, actually), and
it started up just fine.  No errors, no bad warnings.

I'll see if it'll run ET or Q3 tonight; that will be
the real test...

Zaq Rizer