Re: libc6 update problems

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:45:26PM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >>Then, whenever the situation arises, dpkg will automatically overwrite
> >>the common file.
> >
> > Please don't do that.
>
> Can you explain [briefly] why not -- I thought it was OK to do.

If 2 packages have the same file, but they do somehting
different, which of those 2 do you want to keep?  dpkg should not
decide for you which one of those file it should take and just
give an error message that it has a problem.

There are cases where this is possible that 2 files actually have
the same functionality, and it could make sense to have them all
installed at the same time.  For this we have the alternatives
system.

Kurt