Upgrading C lib problem

Hi,

I just tried to do an upgrade and apt hit a problem when it tried to upgrade
the C libraries (see below). This problem seems to be related to the chroot
but that is about as far as my knowledge goes. I suspect that it has
something to do with letting the linker use the 32b-it libraries. Any ideas
on how I fix it?

Thanks

Graham

#################
These libraries were found in /var/chroot/sid-ia32/lib:
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
librt.so.1

Another copy of the C library was found via /etc/ld.so.conf.
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove the directory from /etc/ld.so.conf and try again.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.5-3_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1