Re: Successful install, but no boot

On 2005-06-14 @ 16:03:58 (week 24) Clive Menzies wrote:

> DFS (debian from scratch) is a great Live 'CD' with lots of tools and it
> boots a grub prompt:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/dfs.html

It seems like a very nice tool, but I couldn't get it to work.

First I had to edit /etc/dfsbuild/dfs.cfg, because the mirror setting for
[repo amd64] was pointing to a non-existent location (may be due to the
recent move of the repository). I changed it to
mirror = http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-amd64/
which seems to work.

Then I commented out the default mirror setting pointing to localhost as
it caused a fatal error when trying to rm some files.

Now it bails out with:

Creating Packages files...
Building: unstable dists/unstable/main/binary-amd64 Packages
Creating Release files...
Building: unstable Release
Building: unstable Contents

All done, exiting.
Running: rm -v
/home/hdv/tmp/dfs//target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_sid_main_binary-amd64_Packages
/home/hdv/tmp/dfs//target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_unstable_Release
removed
`/home/hdv/tmp/dfs//target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_sid_main_binary-amd64_Packages'
removed
`/home/hdv/tmp/dfs//target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_unstable_Release'
Fatal error: exception Not_found

Anyway, I built a Kanotix-64 Live CD and ran "grub-install /dev/hda"
from that. Sadly it didn't solve the problem. The system still sees no
boot device there after rebooting.

Grx HdV