Re: postgresql 8

On 5/12/05, Koen Tavernier <koen@ipec.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm putting a dual opteron box together and I will be installing
> postgresql 8 on it. Has anyone here compiled this, and is there anything
> in particular I should look out for?

We're running a bunch of quad opterons in production now, all on PG
7.4, at this point, though we have started PG8 testing...

The challenges of the platform have very little to do with how
PostgreSQL compiles and runs, and everything to do with getting any of
the esoteric bits of the hardware configuration working.

Our challenges have been in getting EMC disk array connections up and
running, as the combination of:
 - High end disk array
 - Fibrechannel communications cards
 - High availability drivers
have proven troublesome to get supported and somewhat troublesome to
get working.

That heads towards ambitious needs for HIGH performance disk I/O...

If your hardware is a bit more pedestrian, I'd not expect many problems.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)