Re: Asus A8V Deluxe, Xfree display problems with BIOS 1011

I got the same problem some months ago with a radeon 9600, so I installed the ubuntu x.org version.
This didn't solve my problem, so I remove all packages relative to XFree and then I purge it. And then reinstall them.
After that the problem disappeared, I don't know what was the reason but maybe it can help you.

Nor.

Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2005, 15:41 +0000 schrieb Jean-Luc Coulon

I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.

After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.

The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn>
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.

Me2.
Same board, but I use sid-32bit.

It seems to be a mess, but works: I use the "nvidia" module (lsmod), but
for X11 I use "nv" (XF86Config-4).

When I configure X11 to use "nvidia" instead of "nv", the machine
crashes like you described. "nv" is working.

Some weeks ago I tried Ubuntu unstable, but didn't use it anymore since
then. When this problem occured, I booted into Ubuntu just to see it
crashing like you described, even it was working before Bios-Update and
I didn't reconfigure anything. That means: X.org is hit by the problem
also, exactly like XFree. Maybe using nv instead of nvidia made you
believe Ubuntu would run? And up/downgrading the kernel may have broken
the nvidia module, so nv is used instead, so that made you believe the
kernel-up/downgrade fixed it?

I've to agree: Asus broke our machines.

Bye,
Ratti