Re: A question about a package

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 01:31:33PM +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there's a lib, (coin)  that now in testing and sid is with the version
> 2.3.0-1. The source package is the coin2 that provides several packages in
> the bin form.
>
> Some weeks ago, the people that develops coin (www.sim.no) released a new
> version with some bugfixes (2.4.0) [1] . However, after testing it, we found
> a bug _only_ in the amd64 arch, also this bug affect the 2.3.0 version that
> we have in sarge. The bug is related to some strange behavior of a vfprintf
> [2].
>
> Sarge is frozen and I cannot put a bug in debian because amd64 port is
> unofficial.

On the contrary; you may certainly file a bug, even if the problem
appears only in amd64.

> The bug is solved, but only in the cvs version. The sim people
> will release a new version soon but there's no date.
>
> So, what is the best way to manage this?
> - create a 2.4.0-cvs, with the bug solved?
> - patch the 2.3.0 version and the the debian package ? Morten,  is this
> possible?

The next version that I upload should be from the 2.4 series.  If the fix
is a self-contained patch against the latest 2.4 release, I'm quite prepared
to apply it to the uploaded version.

When you file a bug, it would be helpful if you can dig out the patch
and append it.  Doing so will greatly increase the probability of the
bug being fixed ;-)

> - upload a new version before sarge release to have the same version of the
> amd64 port?

Sarge is now officially "frozen" so no new coin package will be in sarge,
unfortunately.

Cheers,
-Steve