Re: Nvidia problems... again

On Apr 10, 2005 9:17 PM, James Titcumb <james@total-carnage.org> wrote:

> The thing that's strange, is that previous to building the 2.6.11 kernel
> up (when i was on 2.6.10), the nvidia driver built + installed fine, but
> now it doesn't... perhaps it's a disagreement with the 2.6.11 kernel??

2.6.11 removed a few symbols that were present before. There are
patches around that bring the symbols back, that may be an
intermediate solution until NVidia updates the driver.

That having said, I you don't need great 3D performance, but want
solid dual head operation, I would recommend an older Radeon.
Everything from 7000 to 9200 should work reasonably well with recent
free drivers and kernels. More recent Radeons do not have 3D
acceleration with the free drivers, but should still work fine.

Thomas