tg3 + kernel-image-2.6.11-9* .... How do we know when it will work?

I have a tyan s2880 motherboard with dual broadcom NICs on it.

When I upgraded to the latest kernel, (kernel-image-2.6.11-9-amd64-k8-smp) I lost the NIC because I guess tg3 support wasn't included.

Does it work yet? Is there somewhere to track this so we know when it will work?

When I try to do an apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get -u upgrade, then it always wants to include this new kernel (that will break my system).

I am new to debian, so I'm not sure what my options are here.

Thanks