Help choosing hardware

I have been talking with the SPARC developers about just what kind of
machine I should by for a project I have been assigned. Remarkably
they suggested processors other than SPARC.

I have been working for the State of Florida, Department of State,
Division of Cultural Affairs for several years now. We make grants to
arts agencies and musuems, and in support of that effort I have been
tasked with producing a new database system for online access by our
clients. Of course I'm building it in Linux (specifically Debian) and
am integrating PHP4, PostgreSQL, Apache, and Smarty code to produce
this product.

While I am currently working on a crumby Gateway machine, which is ok
for development but hasn't got the horsepower to actually perform as a
server, I obvioulsy need a heftier machine when the product goes into
production.

The SPARC developers suggested two processors: Opteron, and Xeon.

On the face of it the Opteron looks like the better choice, being a 64
bit machine, but on the other hand I can run a Xeon machine with two
processors...

Although I know that Debian hasn't released an official AMD64 port, I
have seen several distros that use it (like Ubuntu) so my first guess
is that it is mature enough for me to use on this project.

I am looking for feedback from this group, letting me know if I'm on
the right track, or if there are reasons that I should go with the
Xeon instead.

All suggestions appreciated. I am not subscribed to this list, so
please CC me in your reply.

Waiting is,

Dwarf