Re: vmware in 64 bit enviroment

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:24:17AM +0100, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Vmware runs on a chroot.  But I want 64bit capability.  Some time ago I
> bought vmware 4.52 and according to their w-site it will run on amd64.
> So I tried to install.  All is ok until just after the header files bit.
> Then it fails to build vmmon.o.  I have tried to get a precompiled
> module to put into my running kernel.  No success.
> Can anyone help?
> The reason for wanting it running oon 64 bit is: I have a demanding win
> app that I need to run.  The alternative is buy the pgf compiler.  I
> don;t want to.

I suspect what they mean with 'runs on amd64' is that the kernel modules
will compile properly for a 64bit kernel, but vmware in userspace is
still a 32bit program.  After all the kernel modules do have to be able
to work with the 64bit kernel to run on an amd64 system, but it doesn't
mean the userspace program part has to run in 64bit mode to work.