Re: RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (FastTrak376)(rev02)

David Liontooth wrote:
sarge netinst debian-pure64 wrote:

Does anybody use any of the RAID features on any motherboard for Linux?

Not on my amd64 I don't (I use a 3ware card), but on a dual xeon I use the sata_sil driver for an onboard Silicon Image 3112 controller and run software raid (md) off it -- software raid in Linux seems to be excellent. The system hasn't had much heavy use yet so I can't really vouch for robustness, but my experience so far is very positive (I had better luck with raidtools2 than with mdadm). Software raid looks more flexible -- it looks like you should be able to create a RAID5 array, say, from a bunch of disks from different controllers.

Dave

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Dave-

I have the onboard Promise and VIA chips with raid features. I also use
those now as individual disks with the raid turned off. Unless I missed
something, I think there is no raid support for these chips under Linux.

I haven't used md for several years. Even then md had many capabilities
beyond the capabilities of the newest on-board raid controller chips
that I have discovered using plain DOS with the raid turned on. No
special support was required for these chips using raid under DOS.

I never did experience any data corruption or errors of any kind using
md until one of the two disks failed and then I lost all of the data on
the disk and in my RAID0 partition. That was probably due to inadequate
cooling instead of md. I am sure md is even more robust now.

Thanks-

editor@postscript.port5.com