Re: [Fwd: Re: my new superdesktop...]

Bill Broadley wrote:

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 02:36:18PM -0500, Brian Chase wrote:
Comments, updates?

I'm still hearing similar results, but don't forget AMD64's also
have compelling 32 bit performance.  If the apps you want don't run
well in 64 bit environments then just install the 32-bit version.
I read some article in a Linux mag, forget which, but it noted that the with a 32bit system on an Opeteron, they were able to process roughly 1100 transactions per second, whatever that means... However, the 64bit system, they were able to get beyond 3000 transactions per second.

It this is across the board, I would say the perfomance would be notable. Otherwise, they wouldn't make super computers around 64-bit processors, and just use Pentiums. :-)