Re: PC needs two boot sequences

Volkher Scholz wrote:

Hi,

my amd64 workstation has a very strange behavior at boot time.
It always hang during the first boot attempt. That happens at different
points, so I don't think it's a bug in a certain module. There are also
no log entries concerning the failure.
When I reboot, the second attempt is succesful without any errors.
To be even more strange, that happens only after the pc was off for
several hours. I tried to run it with apm or acpi disabled, but didn't
have any effects.

My hardware: Tyan Thunder K8W, 1*Opteron 246, 2GB Ram, 3Ware Raid
controller, nvidia fx 5200 graphics card.

Does anybody has an idea?

regards, volkher
I'm not sure if this helps, but is perhaps related. On one of my AMD64 boxes (Abit KV8, Athlon 3400+), no matter what OS I boot, it always fails on the first time due to temperature rising. My 3rdeye temperature monitor reports CPU temperature rising to critical levels and the beeper starts making a noise. Pretty soon the system halts or reboots before the boot is finished.

The temperature is actually quite normal, but for some reason, only on the second boot the system realizes it. Then, the system will boot normally. No BIOS settings seems to matter and as the same issue is with every os, from Windows (98SE, XP32, XP64 beta) to Debian, I find it hard to believe it's an OS issue.

I spoke with a few AMD people at a local tech show recently. They suggested some mobos/bioses suffer from this issue. Most can be fixed with a BIOS update already available. I haven't tried it myself, as doing the BIOS upgrade takes a bit of trying on a system without a floppy or cd.

/v\