tetex and texmacs problems

Hi,

I have installed debian amd64 last weekend on my workstation and I'm
very happy with it. However I have serious problems with tetex and
texmacs. The installation goes fine, but then it takes a very long time
to process even small tex documents. texmacs doesn't even start. The
message is: Trying to create ecrm10.123pk.. and then it hangs.

When I run kpsewhich --help it takes a long time (2 minutes) at full
processor power to display all known format names.

That's strange, because my machine is not a slow one (opteron 246, 2 Gig
Ram).

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

regards, Volkher