Re: AMD64 VS EM64T

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:49:15PM +0900, Nils Valentin wrote:
> there is a 67 page Benchmark comparison betweeen the Athlon type CPUs and the
> Pentium 4 types (including Prescott). The review does NOT include the
> Opterons ;-(, but is has a lot of very detailed benchmark charts. 29 charts
> for data transfers of each CPU alone + 35 benchmark charts (comparison).
>

> The only problem is as far as I know this article is only available in German.
>
> http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/1244/index.html
>
> "Test: Athlon 64 FX-55 & 4000+"
>
> They have a english website here :
>
> http://www.tecchannel.com/
>
> ,but unfortunately it does not contain even as near info as the german pages.
> The article above does not seem to be available in english.
>
> The article is free to read online or you can buy the PDF version for 0.80
> Euro (1$).
>
> I have it but the copyright does not allow me to forward it to anybody.
> (Thank you for understanding)

I think what the original question wanted to know, is the performance of
opteron/athlon 64 in 64bit mode vs. xeon em64t in 64bit mode.  Most
published benchmarks are for windows and in 32bit mode which doesn't
tell anything useful unfortunately.

Certainly comments I have seen on this list so far is that the athlon
64 is almost always faster in 64bit mode than 32bit mode, and the
xeon varies, sometimes gaining a small amount, sometimes loosing a
small amount, but no major improvement or loss in performance of 64bit
vs. 32bit.  of course programs that have optimized 32bit assembler but
no optimized 64bit assembler are usually much faster in 32bit mode,
although that is entirely due to optimized vs unoptimized.