Frustration with XFree86 and Via K8M800

Hi all, I'm experiencing major difficulties getting my new AMD64 PC to load
X successfully.

I've done a fresh install tonight and have basically just loaded
xserver-xfree86, xdm, and blackbox to try (yet again) to get it working.

When xdm starts up, it flashes crap on the very top line several times, then
exits.

When it exits, the screen is mainly blank with various pixels on various
parts of the screen. I can only see the correct console on the very top line
of the screen.

The PC is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M, 2 x 512MB
Kingmax PC3200, 80GB Seagate SATA.

I'm attempting to run XFree86 with the Vesa driver, as there is no Via
driver, and I have run other Via cards with the Vesa driver successfully in
i386 Sarge.

It's a bit hard to get the log unfortunately as I can't access X and am too
unfamiliar with mutt, but basically the error is that it cannot find a
suitable Vesa mode.

The actual error message is "(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes", followed by
unloading some modules, then "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration".

If I try to use the plain VGA driver, I only ever get 320x200 resolution, no
matter what I set it to with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

I have also tried running xf86cfg and xf86config to no avail.

Has anyone got any idea what's going on with this? I'm getting desperate and
will soon have to resort to running i386 Sarge as I've just spent almost
$1000 on this PC only for it not to work...

And yes, I did do research prior to buying this particular mainboard in
relation to SATA compatability and drivers and the Via chipset.

If anyone could lend any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Pete