Re: boot problems with upgrading udev

Hi Kris,
I have similar display problems after running aptitude dist-upgrade this
morning. I got the message that after upgrading udev some things were
broken and to reboot ASAP.
Upon rebooting, the machine would not boot into graphic mode.
/var/log/messages winds up with xprint related error messages.
The last line in dmesg is
Xprt[4500] trap invalid operand rip:4063ee rsp:7fbffff338 error:0
(I am on another machine now.)
If I do
pan64:~# gdm
gdm already running. Aborting!
pan64:~#
I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but that did not help.

I just made the changes in /etc/udev you mentioned and rebooted. The
display still does not start. The Xfree86 Dialog box says XFree86
Version 4.3.0.1 and then down below "Module Loader present" and then
another box says
I will disable this X server for now.
Restart GDM when it is configured correctly.

I can't see nv or any video modules that I recognise in lsmod.
/etc/modules just lists
ide-cd ide-generic sd_mod

Hope this helps
Norv