Re: non-install report

Hank Barta <hbarta@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks all for the help.
>

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:14:37 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow
> <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> Can you check your hardware please (yes I saw below). From the
>> hardware data the board sounds just like an Asus K8V which many of us
>> have running perfectly so crashes sound strange.
>
> How to check? memtest is the only thing I see offhand. I know that a
> 'no error' from that is not conclusive, but if it did detect errors,
> that would be conclusive.

Have any spare parts around? Another cpu, different MB.

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/tools/make-cd.sh

>> It does sound like hardware.
>
> I can't rule that out at this point, but I do get different results
> with different S/W.
>

>> Try installing the 64bit kernel-image-2.6.9-amd64-k8 (from i386) on
>> your system and boot it. Does it still work then (guessing not). But
>> if it does you can create a 64bit chroot and see if any of the
>> binaries trigger the instability and so on.
>
> I could not find that kernel image. I did install

Sorry, 2.6.9 is still not passt the sponsoring and queue NEW. I wish
some people would hurry up. But 2.6.8 is fine.

> kernel-image-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 and it does not work with the Tulip
> card. dhclient reports checksum errors trying to establish the
> connection. I think that via-rhine is the correct module for the on
> board ETH and that does not load (Gentoo liveCD can load it, but
> ifconfig etho reports no such device, but I don't know Gentoo and I
> may be leaving something else out.)
>
> thanks,
> hank
>
> --
> Beautiful Sunny Winfield

Maybe compile your own 2.8.9 or even more recent kernel? I saw some
reports about APIC bugs getting patches and maybe you have the same
problem.

MfG
        Goswin